Saturday, March 26, 2011

Writing Ruts - What to Do When You Get Stuck

I know you've heard about writer's block. You might even think you suffer or have suffered from writer's block. But what do you do when you get stuck?

ballpoint pen refills

Do you just stay in the rut? Do you whine and complain about not being able to write? Do you seek inspiration or do you hide away hoping it will find you?

Pen Refill

I've been a writer for many years. I can indubitably say that I've been stuck many times myself. Sometimes, I've allowed that block to stop me in my tracks. Thankfully though, I've learned to pull myself up and out when I start feeling stuck. Here are some things you can to help pull yourself out of your rut, too:

- Take a break. Sometimes you just need to walk away. Step exterior or just walk away from the computer for a minute while. When you return, you'll most likely find that your head has cleared and you can think and write again.

- Go for a walk. Taking a 10-minute walk can do wonders for you when you're stuck. It's even better if you can walk for a longer period of time. Go to a park or walk in a heavily wooded area. Nature's sights and sounds will open up your senses.

- Refill your well. How long has it been since you refilled your creative well? All work and no play will cause you to come to be blocked quicker than whatever else. Feed your starving artist: buy a new paint set, take horseback riding lessons, visit an art gallery.

- Brainstorm for ideas. Keep a notebook handy at all times to write down ideas. This will swiftly come to be your rich source of inspiration when you can't come up with a new idea.

- Write with pen and paper. Technology is great, but sometimes it helps to do something different. Shake up your routine by writing with pen and paper. Even better, take your notebook exterior and write to the tune of a song bird.

- Ask a friend for help or ideas. Get some input. It never hurts to ask for help. Call on a few artist friends to have a brainstorming session. You'll indubitably get the ideas flowing fast!

Writing Ruts - What to Do When You Get Stuck

Pen Refill